Monday, April 26, 2010

Rhubarb, Rhubarb, Rhubarb


I used to be an actress.  When I first arrived in L.A. one of the most ridiculous pieces of advice I got was this one, "If you're an extra in a background scene, just keep saying rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb and it will look like you're having a real conversation."  Umm....are you kidding?  For this, I majored in theater?

Now when my beloved rhubarb comes in season, that's all I can think about.  And now I've poisoned you and you will forever make this association.  You can thank me later.

Actually, I hope you will thank me for this recipe.  This is a rhubarb compote that can be put on waffles, french toast, pancakes, served over ice cream, oatmeal or pound cake.  My current favorite snack is a piece of toasted baguette with a smear of ricotta and a dollop of rhubarb compote.  If you're a bit cheeky, add a grind of black pepper to the top.   Here's another good thing-you can freeze it so when the rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb is out of season you'll still have some.  And scene.




Rhubarb Orange Compote
Makes 2-3 cups


1 lb. rhubarb
3/4 c. sugar
2T orange liqueur, like Triple Sec
zest of one orange
2T butter


1.  Trim the ends of the rhubarb and split it lengthwise down the center. Cut across in 1/2 inch pieces. 

2. In a large bowl, toss the rhubarb with the sugar and orange liqueur and orange zest. Set aside.

3. Melt the butter in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. When the butter has melted add the sugar coated rhubarb. Let this cook over a medium heat, undisturbed, for about 2 minutes. When the rhubarb has started to release juices, gently stir.

3. Continue cooking the compote over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the juices are all released, then begin to thicken. Cooking time is about 10 to 15 minutes total, until the compote looks thick and the rhubarb is tender.
 For you cheeky eaters...

2 comments:

anadrol said...

I like rhubarb too! Thanks for rhubarbish idea to make a snack! Now I won't eat it only in a cup :)

Meredith said...

In a cup? You're a purist. I like that!