Saturday, May 8, 2010

Starbucks Key Lime Crumb Cake


 On a recent vacation we passed through the Miami airport where I came upon something I'd never seen at Starbucks before-Key Lime Crumb Cake.  Do you have this at your Starbucks or is this a Florida thing?  If you're not sure, look for a rainbow in the sky or angels hovering over the building.  That would be a sign.

Never tasting this, I foolishly bought only one piece to share between four of us.  After one bite I wanted to invoke the "hands off twerps, 36 hours of labor and 2 c-sections--you owe me!" clause.  But I didn't, cuz I'm a giver.  Although, between you and me, I took giant bites when it was my turn.  I have been obsessed with recreating this ever since.

It's a basic lemon crumb cake with a layer of key lime curd through it.  I ended up with more curd in mine than the Starbucks version.  You can decide how much you like.  You can buy the curd if need be but c'mon, man up and make it yourself.  Key limes are hard to find and not available all year long so bottled key lime juice is the way to go.  This is a great dessert or breakfast/brunch item.  Make it for Mother's Day! And in the spirit of the day, share some with your twerps.


Starbucks Copycat Key Lime Crumb Cake
Serves 10-12

KEY LIME CURD:

4 extra-large eggs
1/2 c sugar
3 t finely grated lime zest
1/2 c key lime juice
4 T sweetened condensed milk
a pinch of salt

14 comments:

DWJ said...

OMG, I had this at a random Starbucks in NJ and tried to tweet Starbucks to ask where else I could find it. The most delicious thing ever and I will definitely be giving your recipe a try. YAY!

Meredith said...

DWJ, where in NJ?! I've only seen it in Florida. Let me know if you try it, I think I came pretty close to duplicating it.

Anonymous said...

I was in the Dallas Airport July 2010 flying to Jamaica and the highlight of my trip was the Key Lime Crumb Cake from Starbucks! I cannot remember a dessert that was so delicious. I was disappointed to fly back into a different terminal to find out I couldn't grab another slice for the road.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I tried this at the Houston airport on our way home from our honeymoon....it was amazing! He's put me on a search to find it again (no luck so far). Thanks for the recipe, cant wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I tried this in the Houston airport on our way home from our honeymoon. It was amazing! He's put me on a manhunt to find it again...but no luck. Thanks for the recipe, I cant wait to try it!

Ruby Ricciardi in FL said...

I think I love you !

Mary Mac said...

My friend and I have been trying to figure this recipe out for 3 years now! We have eaten alot of near misses. I just called her and left a cryptic message because this recipe sounds right! I'm going to try it asap! Thanks so much.

Mary Mac's Friend said...

Mary and I have worked on this recipe for about 3 years. So far we have both made the recipe and THIS IS IT! I must admit though. I was too excited to wait to cut it and the curd was not solid enough. The resting period is an important step that you cannot skip

Meredith said...

Mary Mac and friend,
I'm so glad your quest is over! I still can't understand why every Starbucks on earth doesn't carry this heavenly cake...but now we can have it at home. Yes, chilling the curd is crucial but self-control is optional. ; )

Anonymous said...

My hubby and I found this at the Starbucks in St. Louis Mills Shopping Center yesterday. As has been intimated, this is to die for. Thanks for the recipe. I plan to try it today.

Tammie said...

So true...so true... this is an unforgetable delight. I too had it in the Miami airport and never saw it again in any other Starbucks... never understood that..seems like something this wonderful would be available in EVERY store they have! Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Had the crumbcake in a FL airbort 2 yrs ago & felt same as everyone above...made this recipe the other day & it is PERFECT! Didn't even last 24 hrs. THK U for re-creating it as I will be making it often.

Anonymous said...

Hеllo! I сοuld have sworn I've been to this site before but after checking through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
Аnyways, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking bаck frequentlу!
My page :: such a good point

Anonymous said...

Tried this recently and I definitely made it too thick, was a bit undercooked in the center. I used a taller 9inch square dish and I didn't realize how tall I layered it on. Definitely use a regular height cake pan and you will not make it too thick! Everyone LOVED it anyway.